Natalie Portman returns to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Thor: Love And Thunder, but this week’s film quiz focuses on her other, hammer-less work.
On going to college following child stardom, Natalie Portman once said “I’d rather be smart than a movie star”. In between winning a generation of young fans in the Star Wars prequel trilogy to delighting older ones with her outrageous rap collaborations with The Lonely Island, she’s had it both ways, winning an Oscar and carving out quite a filmography as both an actor and a producer.
In due deference to the new Mighty Thor, this week’s quiz pays tribute to some of her non-franchise screen works, plus some movie general knowledge. Once you’ve finished all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Get your answers in before Natalie says “No more questions!”
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1964 – Which band play themselves in the comedy film A Hard Day’s Night?
- 1981 – Which John Boorman-directed fantasy film is named after King Arthur’s sword?
- 1999 – Who plays plays bad boy Patrick Verona in 10 Things I Hate About You?
- 2013 – Where do Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn go to work in the very product-placement-friendly comedy The Internship?
- 1980 – Born this week, who plays Vesper Lynd in 2006’s Casino Royale?
- 2003 – Full Throttle is the sequel to which action comedy?
- 1996 – Which sport features prominently in the Farrelly brothers comedy Kingpin?
- 1982 – Aileen Quinn is best known for playing the 10-year-old title character of which movie musical?
- 2007 – Which Stephen King adaptation connects Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, and Toby Jones?
- 1958 – Also born this week, which 1980s teen movie star do the Guardians Of The Galaxy call Earth’s mightiest hero?
ROUND TWO – The Natalie Portman Round
Discreetly overlooking the bold claims in her Saturday Night Live raps, we’ve sourced 10 questions from Natalie Portman on screen instead…
- In which 1994 action movie did Natalie Portman make her feature film debut as Mathilda Lando?
- In which UK city is 2006’s V For Vendetta primarily set?
- Who directed Portman in the 2007 film The Darjeeling Limited and its short prologue Hotel Chevalier?
- What is Jackie’s surname in the 2016 biopic of the same name?
- “Who’s the movie star?” The Social Network makes a veiled reference to Portman being a real-life alumnus of which American university?
- Which 2010 psychological thriller won Portman a Best Actress Oscar?
- Who plays Portman’s character’s stepfather in Heat – Al Pacino or Robert De Niro?
- In which US state is 2004’s Garden State primarily set?
- Which sci-fi comedy stars Portman, Glenn Close, and Jack Nicholson as the First Family of the United States?
- Complete the title of the 2016 western – Jane Got A…
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In the news! Disney’s Baymax! is a spin-off series based on which 2014 animated film?
- Which actor’s real-life characters include J. Edgar Hoover, Howard Hughes, and Jordan Belfort?
- Which 1974 disaster movie revolves around a fire at San Francisco’s 138-storey Glass Tower?
- In cinemas this week! Who plays “Dr Who” in the 1965 film spin-off Dr Who And The Daleks?
- Which 2020 film comes next in this sequence – In The Loop > The Death Of Stalin > …?
- Who plays the Disney villain Maleficent in 2014’s Maleficent and its sequel?
- Which St Bernard dog connects two theatrical films and six direct-to-video sequels released between 1992 and 2014?
- In cinemas and streaming now! Netflix’s period drama Persuasion is an adaptation of which English author’s final novel?
- Who connects the 2010s films The Fighter, The Big Short, and Le Mans ’66?
- And finally, outgoing UK prime minister Boris Johnson has repeatedly compared himself to Mayor Larry Vaughn, a character from which 1970s blockbuster?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, share your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.