As Channel 4 and Film4 celebrate their 40th anniversary, this week’s film quiz covers some of their contributions to cinema…
Channel 4 launched 40 years ago this week and so did Channel Four Films, the company that eventually became Film4. It’s been backing new movies at home and abroad ever since and with its Bill Nighy-led drama Living also landing in cinemas, the middle round of our film quiz covers some of their many works to date, in between some more general movie trivia bits.
Once you’ve completed all 30 questions, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 31 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Here we go…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 2018 – Who plays Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody?
- 1992 – Back in cinemas this week for its 30th anniversary, which film’s title character is called Frank Farmer?
- 1985 – Who wrote and directed Weird Science?
- 2005 – What is the full title of the sequel to 1998’s The Mask Of Zorro?
- 1981 – In Disney’s The Fox And The Hound, which character is the fox – Copper or Tod?
- 2010 – Which teen comedy stars Emma Stone as Olive Penderghast?
- 1957 – Born this week, who plays Russian boxer Ivan Drago in the Rocky franchise?
- 1989 – In the romantic comedy of the same name, Pauline Collins plays Shirley… who?
- 2021 – Which Marvel Studios movie connects Salma Hayek, Angelina Jolie, and Harry Styles?
- 1999 – Which film director plays Dr Hill in The Sixth Sense?
ROUND TWO – The Film4 Round
- Who wrote the screenplay for Four Weddings And A Funeral?
- How many Inbetweeners movies have been released to date?
- “Rubber Dinghy Rapids” is a repeated quote in which 2010 comedy?
- Who plays Queen Anne in 2018’s The Favourite?
- What connects the main characters in Fever Pitch, Looking For Eric, and Purely Belter?
- Who made his directorial debut with 1994’s Shallow Grave?
- Complete the title of the 1985 Stephen Frears film – My Beautiful… ?
- Who plays Moses in 2011’s Attack The Block?
- 2010’s West Is West is a sequel to which 1999 comedy drama?
- Which two Film4 productions have won the Oscar for Best Picture? (2 points)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the four title characters are Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and… who?
- What surname connects the actors Robin, Letitia, and Jeffrey?
- In the news! Which actor confirmed he will reprise the role of Superman in future DC projects?
- How many Angry Men make up the roster of a 1957 jury-room drama?
- Who connects the films Good Night And Good Luck, The Ides Of March, and The Monuments Men?
- “Everything Is Awesome” is a song from which animated movie?
- Which Oscar winner is the famous daughter of Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd?
- Also in the news! Crystal Lake is a forthcoming TV prequel to which horror film franchise?
- What title connects a 1984 film directed by David Lynch and a 2021 film directed by Denis Villeneuve?
- And finally, which actor played ATF agent Ray Nicolette in two different films by two different directors, both in the same year?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, catch up with our film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast – new this week, there’s a horror movie special, in which Nick Helm and guest scorekeeper Bilal Zafar ask comedians Ken Cheng, Russell Hicks, and Jodie Mitchell about their favourite scary movies. More new episodes coming soon, and lots more exciting developments too!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.