Wind the clocks back a century for this week’s film quiz, which offers questions on the 1920s and all the decades since…
In UK cinemas this week, Babylon emphasises that 1920s Hollywood wasn’t the aspirational time that nostalgia would suggest. Indeed, our roaring 2020s, as some columnists predicted, have thus far only nailed the global pandemic and economic depression bits. This week’s film quiz has a round about the 1920s on film (both during and after), sandwiched between various questions from the following century.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Remember, anything in the 20s is a great score!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 2020 – What is the full title of the third Bad Boys movie?
- 1955 – Who plays wayward teen Jim Stark in Rebel Without A Cause?
- 2001 – What type of aircraft is the Black Hawk in Black Hawk Down?
- 1946 – Born this week, which 9 To 5 star sang the movie’s title track?
- 2022 – Which one-shot British drama stars Stephen Graham as chef Andy Jones?
- 1998 – Which Alfred Hitchcock film was remade shot-for-shot by director Gus Van Sant?
- 2007 – Who plays Dewey Cox in the spoof music biopic Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story?
- 1946, again – Also born this week, whose feature directorial debut was 1977’s Eraserhead?
- 2014 – Which Olympic sport features prominently in the true-story drama Foxcatcher?
- 1989 – “The oddest couple ever unleashed” is the tagline of which buddy-cop comedy?
ROUND TWO – The 1920s Round
- Complete the title of the 1920 silent horror classic – The Cabinet Of Dr…
- 1921’s The Lucky Dog is the first short film featuring which comedy duo?
- “Razzle Dazzle” is a song from which 2000s movie musical?
- Who wrote, directed, and starred in 1925’s The Gold Rush?
- What is the studio name MGM short for?
- Who plays Evelyn Carnahan in 1999’s The Mummy?
- Which 1928 Disney short marked the debut of Mickey Mouse?
- Maria, Grot, and Rotwang are characters in which sci-fi film?
- Which title role connects Alan Ladd, Robert Redford, and Leonardo DiCaprio?
- Which British actor and director plays down-and-out Baby Face in 1976’s Bugsy Malone?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- Which junior Holmes is played by Millie Bobbie Brown in the Netflix movies of the same name?
- In 1939’s The Wizard Of Oz, the Tin Man sings a song called “If I Only Had A”… what?
- Which James Bond novel was originally adapted into a 1967 spoof film starring Peter Sellers, David Niven, and Woody Allen?
- Which Hollywood Chris plays Formula 1 driver James Hunt in 2013’s Rush?
- Brian Cohen is the title character in which 1979 comedy?
- 1960’s The Magnificent Seven is a remake of which 1954 Japanese epic?
- In 2007’s Surf’s Up, what type of animal is wannabe surfer Cody Maverick?
- In which 1980s action movie does Patrick Swayze claim that “pain don’t hurt”?
- In which country is Casablanca mostly set?
- And finally, what word goes after American, Black, and Stealing to make the titles of three 1990s movies?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page) and let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, why not catch up with Season 1 of our suitably named film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast, which features Nick Helm asking movie questions and occasionally berating contestants for getting them wrong. There’ll be more episodes soon!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.