Titles will clash! In this week’s film quiz, 30 questions on all sorts of subjects, including old favourites, new releases, and some movie mashups.
We wrote this week’s questions during last week’s heatwave and tragically, some of the movies in Round 2 melted together. That’s right – it’s time for a mashup round, just like the first one and our Valentine’s special. But again, as the nice man who’s currently shredding our correspondence told us to say, it’s not that much like the Answer Smash round from Richard Osman’s House Of Games.
But to give you some clue to what we’re talking about, we’ve come up with phoney plot synopses for the hybrid movies. For example, “Tom Cruise recovers from a devastating accident by going back to James Bond’s childhood home” would be Vanilla Skyfall. Somehow, the first and third rounds remain miraculously unaffected by the heat.
Once you’ve finished all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Release the mashups!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 1991 – Complete the title of the blockbuster sequel – Terminator 2…
- 1950 – Where does movie star Norma Desmond live in the Billy Wilder classic of the same name?
- 2021 – Which action comedy connects Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, and Taika Waititi?
- 1990 – Born this week, who won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance in 2012’s Silver Linings Playbook?
- 1995 – What is the name of Hans Gruber’s big brother, played by Jeremy Irons in Die Hard With A Vengeance?
- 2015 – Who directed The Man From U.N.C.L.E?
- 1973 – Also born this week, Ahmed Best is best known for playing which Star Wars character?
- 1989 – Who plays kickboxer Kurt Sloane in the action movie Kickboxer?
- 2018 – Which grown-up friend of Winnie the Pooh does Ewan McGregor play in the Disney film of the same name?
- 1975 – “Science Fiction/Double Feature” is the opening and closing song from which movie musical?
ROUND TWO – Starter For Tenet
- After going on holiday by mistake, Robert Downey Jr finds a technological solution to his lack of acting jobs.
- Gary Oldman is disturbed to discover that international espionage is full of children.
- Matt Damon makes a fresh start by purchasing a male model in a professional slump.
- Samuel L Jackson and colleagues tangle with a racehorse of a different colour.
- 1970s New York drug kingpin Denzel Washington reminisces about being Paul Bettany in 1960s London.
- Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones obsess over playing the lead in a Tchaikovsky ballet.
- Daniel Kaluuya has a terrible weekend in a car boot with Jennifer Lopez.
- Three children fly from London to a magical realm of fauns, fairies, and the Pale Man.
- Charlie Sheen is mentored by corporate raider and military dictator M. Bison.
- Batman battles homicidal maniacs in Gotham City and then searches for Melanie Griffith in Los Angeles.
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- What word goes after Funny, Patriot, and War to make the names of at least three other movies?
- Who plays Beatrix Kiddo in the Kill Bill movies?
- In which 2015 sci-fi comedy does Adam Sandler battle an invasion of alien video-game characters?
- In cinemas this week! One And All is the sequel to which 2019 comedy-drama?
- “There’s no crying in baseball!” is a quote from which 1992 sports comedy?
- Which of these acting siblings was born first – Dakota Fanning or Elle Fanning?
- Which film originally featured the Oscar-nominated song “Rainbow Connection”?
- Who connects the 1990s movies Boyz N The Hood, Event Horizon, and The Matrix?
- Also in cinemas this week! First Kill is the prequel to which 2009 horror film?
- And finally, which Australian actor plays Perseus in 2010’s Clash Of The Titans and its sequel?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, share your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.