In cinemas this week, Don’t Worry Darling is Olivia Wilde’s new movie, and this week’s film quiz focuses on various actors who have sat in the director’s chair.
Over the course of a career, many movie stars seem to be on a trajectory to directing at some point. Actor-producers may be far more common in the A-list, (Tom Cruise being the major example) but a lot of very accomplished actors have also mixed in some directing jobs along the way. We’ll be testing your knowledge of these double-threats in the course of this week’s 30-question tombola, which also covers romcoms, westerns, and comic-book movie soundtracks.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Let’s get rolling… action!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 2010 – Who directed and starred in the crime thriller The Town?
- 1997 – Which romantic comedy connects Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, and Dermot Mulroney?
- 2020 – What is the full title of the third Bill & Ted movie?
- 1956 – Who plays Civil War veteran Ethan Edwards in The Searchers?
- 1984 – Complete the title of the 1984 gothic horror film directed by Neil Jordan – The Company Of…?
- 2009 – Back in cinemas this week, which sci-fi movie is the highest-grossing film of all time at the worldwide box office?
- 1950 – Born this week, who connects the films Little Shop Of Horrors, Space Jam, and Zombieland?
- 2019 – The comedy-drama The Farewell is set in America and which other country?
- 1998 – How many Lethal Weapon films have been released to date?
- 1989 – “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys.” Which drama features this famous quote?
ROUND TWO – Directorial Debuts
- Dances With Wolves (1990)
- Lady Bird (2017)
- That Thing You Do! (1995)
- Easy Rider (1969)
- Promising Young Woman (2020)
- Citizen Kane (1941)
- Whip It (2009)
- This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
- The Night Of The Hunter (1955)
- Booksmart (2019)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- Which band’s 1970 song “Iron Man” plays over the end credits of 2008’s Iron Man?
- Who plays Sarah Connor in The Terminator?
- What title connects a 1961 Disney film starring two Hayley Millses and a 1998 remake starring two Lindsay Lohans?
- In the news! Keanu Reeves will return in a sequel to which 2005 comic book movie?
- Alex DeLarge is the main character in which dystopian crime movie?
- Which singer’s acting roles include Battleship, Ocean’s 8, and Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets?
- Also in the news! Who provides the voice of Paddington in the Paddington films?
- Which 2022 video-game movie stars Tom Holland as Nathan Drake?
- What part of the body goes after Eagle, Golden, and Red to make the titles of three different thrillers?
- And finally, who both directed the 1990 film White Hunter Black Heart and played a director in the film?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz! When you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page) and let us know your scores did in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, check out our new film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast – this week, it’s Sooz Kempner, Elf Lyons, and Esther Manito testing their movie trivia mettle against quizmasters Nick Helm and Huge Davies – and you won’t want to miss the cat story…
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.