Grab an ice lolly and turn a fan on for this week’s film quiz, which includes some very hot weather questions.
We hope you’ve all been keeping cool and safe in the week the UK recorded its highest-ever temperatures on Monday and Tuesday. But before we all chill for the weekend, we’ve got a piping-hot serving of film questions on subjects ranging from animated movies to classic westerns and, yes, a round slathered in Quiz Buin (taking the Piz a bit there, I know) and red-hot questions.
Once you’ve finished all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Some questions may still be hot from the sun, so handle with care.
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1998 – “Size does matter” is the tagline for which American monster movie?
- 2006 – Who breaks up with Vince Vaughn in The Break-Up?
- 1986 – What kind of animal is Fievel in An American Tail and its sequels?
- 1955 – Born this week, which actor’s characters include Jesus of Nazareth, Vincent Van Gogh, and Max Schreck?
- 2022 – In cinemas this week! Complete the title of the mystery drama – Where The Crawdads…?
- 1991 – In which 1990s blockbuster does Brian Blessed play Kevin Costner’s father?
- 2016 – In The BFG, what do the initials BFG stand for?
- 1996 – Shooter McGavin is the villain in which sports comedy?
- 2008 – What is the name of WALL-E’s female robot companion in WALL-E?
- 1960 – “Shut up and deal” is the final line of which Billy Wilder-directed film?
ROUND TWO – Red-Hot Quizzing
Things are heating up in this next round, but here’s 10 questions about “Hot” movies, whether it’s in name only or based around high-temperature situations…
- Who plays Nicholas Angel in Hot Fuzz – Simon Pegg or Nick Frost?
- Which Spike Lee joint is set in and around Sal’s Pizzeria during a New York heatwave?
- Who plays police inspector Virgil Tibbs in In The Heat Of The Night?
- Who directed the 2007 sci-fi thriller Sunshine?
- Which 1981 erotic thriller connects William Hurt, Kathleen Turner, and Ted Danson?
- “Summer Nights” is a song from which 1970s movie musical?
- Who plays Lieutenant Topper Harley in Hot Shots! and its sequel?
- What title connects a 1965 desert survival thriller starring James Stewart and a 2004 remake starring Dennis Quaid?
- Which 2006 comedy revolves around Olive Hoover and family travelling to a child beauty pageant?
- Which double-Oscar-winning British movie star made an early uncredited screen appearance as a policeman in 1961’s The Day The Earth Caught Fire?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Which Hollywood movie studio features a Pegasus in its logo?
- 2007’s Rise Of The Silver Surfer is the sequel to which 2005 comic-book movie?
- Who connects the 1990s films Total Recall, Basic Instinct, and Casino?
- In the news! Director Denis Villeneuve has started production on a sequel to which Oscar-winning 2021 blockbuster?
- In a 2007 comedy sequel, which character’s Holiday winds up at the Cannes film festival?
- Which animated film goes before Bravo, Grande, and Lobo to make the titles of three different John Wayne Westerns?
- In what decade was Jaws 3D released in cinemas?
- Also in the news! Which of these annual celebrations of cinema snacks took place on 20th July – National Popcorn Day or National Hot Dog Day?
- Who plays US Presidents in the films Night At The Museum, The Butler, and Man Of The Year?
- And finally, complete the trilogy – I Know What You Did Last Summer > I Still Know What You Did Last Summer > …?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, share your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.