This week’s film quiz takes flight with 30 questions on subjects including screen debuts, box-office records, and planes in the movies.
Out in UK cinemas now, the new Gerard Butler action movie Plane isn’t going to be anyone’s first choice of in-flight entertainment, but as a Friday-night trip to the multiplex, it’s as serviceable as its title suggests – I’ve reviewed it here. On the other hand, this week’s jet-set selection of movie trivia teasers is just what you need for the weekend, ideally while staying on terra firma.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. And in the spirit of planes in movies, I just want to tell you good luck, we’re all counting on you…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 1984 – Axel Foley is the title character in which comedy franchise?
- 2010 – Who plays ballerina Nina Sayers in Black Swan?
- 1996 – Which Peter Jackson-directed horror comedy stars Michael J. Fox as a man who can see ghosts?
- 1979 – Born this week, who made her film debut as MI6 agent Miranda Frost in the James Bond film Die Another Day?
- 1983 – Which TV show was adapted into a 2010 film starring Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley, Quinton Jackson, and Liam Neeson as the title characters?
- 2005 – Who plays Elektra in the Daredevil spin-off film Elektra?
- 1993 – Complete the title of Gurinder Chadha’s directorial debut – Bhaji On The… what?
- 1940 – Also born this week, James Cromwell was Oscar-nominated for playing Farmer Hoggett in which 1995 film?
- 2001 – Who plays Sofia in both 1997’s Open Your Eyes and its English-language remake Vanilla Sky?
- 2017 – Which British sequel is a loose adaptation of the novel Porno by Irvine Welsh?
ROUND TWO – In Plane Sight
- Complete the quote from Airplane! – “I am serious, and don’t call me…” what?
- Who plays airline pilot Captain Whip Whittaker in 2012’s Flight?
- Cyrus the Virus is the villain in which 1990s action movie?
- In Raiders Of The Lost Ark, what type of animal is surprise plane passenger Reggie?
- Top Gun: Maverick was the second-biggest film at the worldwide box office in 2022 – in what year did the original Top Gun top the chart?
- Which actor has stressful flights in the films Cast Away, Sully, and The Terminal?
- Which Hollywood movie studio’s logo originally featured a biplane circling the globe?
- In which 2005 thriller do Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy sit next to each other on a plane?
- Which 1980s punk star cameos as himself in the mid-air finale of 1998’s The Wedding Singer?
- Which Samuel L Jackson vehicle briefly had the working title Pacific Air Flight 121?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- Which acting sibling is oldest – Ben Affleck or Casey Affleck?
- Thomas O’Malley is a character in which Disney animated film?
- “We dare you to say his name five times” is the tagline for which 1990s horror film?
- In the news! Who became the first actor to star in four different films that crossed the $2-billion mark at the worldwide box office?
- In which 2004 movie musical does Gerard Butler sing “The Music Of The Night”?
- What word goes before Detroit, Sleep, and Strange to make the titles of three different movies?
- David St Hubbins is a member of which fictional band from a 1984 comedy?
- Who plays the Devil in the 2000 remake of Bedazzled?
- How many films in the Halloween series are simply titled Halloween?
- And finally, ‘Psst, Scott’s home early!’ M&Ms shelved its “spokescandies” this week, but which Oscar-winning actor voiced the Yellow M&M in TV and cinema ads from 1996 to 2023?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page) and let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, why not catch up with Season 1 of our suitably named film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast, which features Nick Helm asking movie questions and occasionally berating contestants for getting them wrong. There’ll be more episodes soon!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.