As Knock At The Cabin arrives in UK cinemas, this week’s film quiz looks upon the works of M. Night Shyamalan and trembles…!
Over the last decade or two, M. Night Shyamalan has weathered the “New Hitchcock” overhype, the inevitable backlash, a couple of big-budget bombs, and since 2015(ish), he’s found his groove, reliably turning out high-grade, Blumhouse-budgeted schlock. And with his latest movie out now, (read our review of Knock At The Cabin here) this week’s film quiz has some twisty trivia woven into the usual raffle of general-knowledge bits.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Watch out for those twists!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 1998 – Shakespeare In Love revolves around the writing and staging of which Shakespeare play?
- 2015 – Who plays Gary “Eggsy” Unwin in the Kingsman franchise?
- 2003 – Edward Bloom is the protagonist of which Tim Burton-directed film?
- 1956 – Born this week, Nathan Lane plays Max Bialystock in the movie of the musical of which 1967 comedy?
- 2005 – What type of horse is Stripes in the sports comedy Racing Stripes?
- 2010 – Disney’s Tangled is an adaptation of which Brothers Grimm fairy tale?
- 1990 – What is the full title of the sequel to Three Men And A Baby?
- 1976 – Born this week, who connects the 2000s comedies Wedding Crashers, Hot Rod, and Definitely Maybe?
- 2022 – Which sci-fi disaster movie stars Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson, and Donald Sutherland?
- 1953 – Back in cinemas this week for its 70th anniversary, which romantic comedy sees Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn enjoy a day in Italy together?
ROUND TWO – The M. Night Shyamalan Round
- Who was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for playing troubled child Cole Sear in The Sixth Sense?
- Which 2004 period thriller connects Joaquin Phoenix, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Adrien Brody?
- Aang is the name of the title character in which 2010 fantasy adventure?
- Who plays high-school science teacher Elliot Moore in The Happening?
- Shyamalan co-wrote the screenplay for a 1999 family film about an unusual adoption – which film?
- What is the alter-ego of Samuel L Jackson’s character Elijah Price in Unbreakable and its 2019 sequel?
- Which 2013 sci-fi thriller sees Will and Jaden Smith play father and son?
- Which Little Miss Sunshine star made her screen acting debut as Bo Hess in Signs?
- Which 2015 found-footage horror movie revolves around the disturbing behaviour of two grandparents?
- In Lady In The Water, who plays Vick Ran, the visionary storyteller whose ideas will save the world?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- Also in cinemas this week! Which animated character headlines a new sequel called The Last Wish?
- Which actor’s real-life characters include Queen Elizabeth I, Sharon Tate, and Tonya Harding?
- Which superhero does Helen Slater play in a 1984 film of the same name?
- What is the name of Laurence Fishburne’s character in the first three Matrix films?
- 1993’s Groundhog Day starts on 1st February and ends on what date?
- Who directed The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and Jason Bourne?
- In which 2009 comedy do Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen play stand-up comedians?
- Which Oscar-winning actor played Lara Croft in 2018’s Tomb Raider?
- In which city is Disney’s 101 Dalmatians set?
- And finally, which 2021 horror film goes before Henry, Dogs, and School to make the names of three other films?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page) and let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, why not catch up with Season 1 of our suitably named film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast, which features Nick Helm asking movie questions and occasionally berating contestants for getting them wrong. Watch this space for news about new episodes, but until then, “keep watching those movies…!”
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.