Ahead of next week’s Alien Day re-releases, this week’s film quiz is themed around the Alien movies, from Ridley Scott’s original to, er, Ridley Scott’s later ones.
Every year, 26th April is designated “Alien Day” after the moon LV-426 (4/26 in American dating) and so, Alien and Aliens will return to UK cinemas next Wednesday. They’re certainly the most highly regarded next to the other sequels, prequels, and dreaded crossover films, but this week’s Round 2 covers the entire film franchise to date.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week) and leave us any other lovely feedback. And did that headline make anyone else think of the Cheers theme tune or just us?
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
- 1990 – In which movie does Alec Baldwin play CIA analyst Jack Ryan?
- 1979 – Born this week, who plays Professor Charles Xavier in X-Men: Dark Phoenix?
- 2022 – Complete the title of the comedy starring Nicolas Cage – The Unbearable Weight Of… what?
- 1980 – Which sport features prominently in Gregory’s Girl?
- 2005 – What title connects a 1979 horror film starring James Brolin and a remake starring Ryan Reynolds?
- 1996 – Who plays time-travelling prisoner James Cole in 12 Monkeys?
- 2023 – In cinemas now! Missing is a standalone sequel to which 2018 desktop mystery thriller?
- 1958 – Also born this week, who connects the 1990s films Four Weddings And A Funeral, Groundhog Day, and Muppets From Space?
- 2008 – In which British film does Eddie Marsan play Sally Hawkins’ driving instructor?
- 1960 – Chris Adams and Vin Tanner are among the title characters of which western?
ROUND TWO – The Alien Round
- What is Ripley’s first name in the Alien franchise?
- Who plays the android Bishop in Aliens?
- What is the full title of the 2017 sequel to Prometheus?
- Who made his feature directorial debut with 1992’s Alien 3?
- “Nine Lives On The Nostromo” is a 2018 picture book that re-tells the plot of Alien from the perspective of which feline character?
- Who plays the androids David and Walter in the Ridley Scott-directed prequels of the 2010s?
- In Aliens, which character delivers the line “They mostly come at night… mostly”?
- The battleground for the Aliens and the Predator in Alien Vs Predator is nearest to what location – the North Pole or the South Pole?
- Who plays Annalee Call in 1997’s Alien Resurrection?
- In which 1987 sci-fi spoof does John Hurt revisit his role as Kane and produce an all-singing, all-dancing chest-burster?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- Who directed the 2010s films Sunshine On Leith, Eddie The Eagle, and Rocketman?
- In which 2020 slasher comedy do Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton swap bodies?
- Who plays T.E. Lawrence in 1962’s Lawrence Of Arabia?
- In the news! Which 2021 monster movie has an upcoming sequel subtitled The New Empire?
- Which acting sibling is older – Mark Wahlberg or Donnie Wahlberg?
- In Disney’s Robin Hood, what type of animal is Robin Hood?
- Also in cinemas now! What is the full title of the new Evil Dead movie?
- Who plays Cher Horowitz in 1995’s Clueless?
- Which 1960s film is the subject and title of a 1995 UK number 1 single by American rock band Deep Blue Something?
- And finally, which day of the week connects films directed by John Frankenheimer, Paul Greengrass, and Oliver Stone?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page) and let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another film quiz, but until then, why not catch up with Season 1 of our suitably named film quiz podcast, The Film Quiz Podcast, which features Nick Helm asking movie questions and occasionally berating contestants for getting them wrong.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.