Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer comes to DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray in the UK this November, with hours of extras.
Firmly established as the most successful biopic of all time at the box office, and with nearly $1bn in the bank and an Oscar run ahead of it, Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer is now readying itself for its home formats release.
At Nolan’s behest, the launch has been held back to the end of November, to give the film maximum breathing time in cinemas. As such, Universal has announced that the UK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD release date will be November 22nd 2023. How’s that for getting to the point of a story within two paragraphs?
Given that Barbie will have been out for many weeks by that stage, it offers a belated chance to re-create cinema’s most famous double bill of 2023 in the comfort of your own home. But also, a chance to revisit a towering piece of cinema too.
Wonderfully, the release is coming with over three hours of special features. From the blurb we’ve been sent, these features will be on the Oppenheimer DVD release as well as the Blu-ray and 4K disc: oftentimes now, the DVD gets left out. Not on Nolan’s watch, it seems.
Confession: I’ve copied and pasted the next bit, because just look at how many features there are! It’s like the old days!
- THE STORY OF OUR TIME: THE MAKING OF OPPENHEIMER*
- NOW I AM BECOME DEATH – The cast, crew and producers join Christopher Nolan in sharing the personal stories that made them passionate about the project’s ambitious design for bridging multiple genres.
- THE LUMINARIES – Oppenheimer’s all-star cast discusses how they synthesize the script’s dramatic narrative with the real lives of historical figures to embody their complex characters.
- THE MANHATTAN PROJECT – To visualize Oppenheimer’s ability to see different dimensions and to recreate the historic Trinity test, filmmakers developed unique techniques to craft stunning effects without using CGI.
- THE DEVIL OF THE DETAILS – A look at how production designer Ruth De Jong and team recreated the entire town of Los Alamos with period-accurate props, spectacular sets and painstaking attention to authenticity.
- WALKING A MILE – Costume and makeup craftspeople populate Oppenheimer’s immersive environments with iconic figures by utilizing thousands of pieces of clothing and cutting-edge prosthetic applications.
- CAN YOU HEAR THE MUSIC? – Working closely with Christopher Nolan, Ludwig Göransson composes a deeply personal, historically expansive score ranging from the organic to the alien to accompany the visual landscape.
- WE CAN PERFORM THIS MIRACLE – Christopher Nolan’s closest collaborators demonstrate how his artistic vision creates camaraderie that drives his talented crew to continue breaking new ground in filmmaking.
- INNOVATIONS IN FILM: 65MM BLACK-AND-WHITE FILM IN OPPENHEIMER – FotoKem opens the door to its film labs, where new technologies are invented for using color and black & white 65mm film to visualize Oppenheimer’s dual timelines while pushing the format further forward.
- MEET THE PRESS Q&A PANEL: OPPENHEIMER – Chuck Todd moderates a conversation where Christopher Nolan, author Kai Bird, and physicists Dr. Kip Thorne, Dr. Thom Mason and Dr. Carlo Rovelli reflect on the fascinating science and doomsday concerns OPPENHEIMER illustrates onscreen.
- TO END ALL WAR: OPPENHEIMER & THE ATOMIC BOMB – Explore how one man’s relentless drive and invention of the atomic bomb changed the nature of war forever, led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and unleashed mass hysteria.
The digital release date appears to be on the same date too, although that may change. The Oppenheimer Blu-ray and DVD is going up for pre-order imminently…
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.